The Motivation for this Journal

My name is Matt and I play in West Virginia. Actually, I'm addicted to the state.

Living inside or within a few hours of a WV state border for all of my life, I've had plenty of "West Virginia Moments," a characterization that could range from WV stereotype reinforcements of the cultural (could be bad) to the natural persuasion. Fortunately, the number of the latter is far greater than the number of former.

I wish to document with this blog these "West Virginia Moments." If you're reading this, then you are a friend or family member, or have stumbled upon this blog, and I thank you for reading and hope you'll get a laugh, discover a new natural place in WV, or gasp at the thought of it. However, the real reason for this blog is personal. I will consider this blog an archive of these moments for a man with a poor memory.

Enjoy!

15 February, 2007

Layers upon Layers at Coopers

I just got back from a 2 hour ski through Coopers Rock State Forest. The WVU rental facility is turning out to be my saving grace, though I broke a basket off of one of their poles (d'oh!).

Apparently, the top of the layer of snow that was at Coopers began to melt, then froze, creating a crispy crust, and then about three inches of powder arrived. It's a very intersting layered combination, that makes poling difficult, but the skis move well over it since my weight isn't enough to break the crust.

I'm getting addicted to XC skiing. I didn't see anybody, and was blazing the trails when I wasn't on the road. It's pretty remarkable. Check out photos.

Git 'r Dun.