The Motivation for this Journal

My name is Matt and I play in West Virginia. Actually, I'm addicted to the state.

Living inside or within a few hours of a WV state border for all of my life, I've had plenty of "West Virginia Moments," a characterization that could range from WV stereotype reinforcements of the cultural (could be bad) to the natural persuasion. Fortunately, the number of the latter is far greater than the number of former.

I wish to document with this blog these "West Virginia Moments." If you're reading this, then you are a friend or family member, or have stumbled upon this blog, and I thank you for reading and hope you'll get a laugh, discover a new natural place in WV, or gasp at the thought of it. However, the real reason for this blog is personal. I will consider this blog an archive of these moments for a man with a poor memory.

Enjoy!

09 March, 2007

March rolls in . . .

We had a very interesting week here in WV. Last weekend saw temps go into the 50s and a cold snap began to roll in on Monday. By Tuesday, there was a little talk about snow, and by noon on Wednesday, nearly a foot had fallen. The primary problem, however, was that the area's snowplows were nowhere to be seen, and so Wednesday was a mess. Cars wrecked, ditched and abandoned. Buses spinning out.

Of course I hit the woods for some late-season XC skiing that day. I mean, everything was canceled! The powder was so deep and soft that I couldn't even see the skis in front of me.

Today I walked into Cheat Canyon after the snowmelt that I'd intended to ride down the Big and Little Sandy Creeks failed to arrive. I had heard of something called the Allegheny Trail, and was aware that it now crosses private land owned by Allegheny Wood Products, and that the trail has been overcome by logging roads in many places, but it is the only non-boat access to scout some of the Canyon's rapids, so I figured it would be worth the risk. It was crystal clear upon finding the trailhead that I was not welcome. Beyond the sign you see here, the forest was blanketed in POSTED signs and an equally large sign reading, "NO TRESPASSING WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION." Despite all this, I only had to duck into the brush once as a logging truck barreled out of the forest.

Most of the walking thus entailed rock-hopping along the banks of the Cheat, a delightful way to travel, as slow as it may have been. I believe that I made it roughly a mile-and-a-half into the canyon before the thought of being arrested for trespassing inspired me to turn back. It was a successful jaunt nonetheless; I'd scouted what I believe to be three significant rapids (all class III), and got a feel for what kind of water Cheat Canyon serves up to paddlers.

On the way back upstream, I decided to try my hand at some clever photography.

And, now I'm even more anxious to get in my kayak and run the canyon.

Git 'r Dun.