The Motivation for this Journal

My name is Matt and I play in West Virginia. Actually, I'm addicted to the state.

Living inside or within a few hours of a WV state border for all of my life, I've had plenty of "West Virginia Moments," a characterization that could range from WV stereotype reinforcements of the cultural (could be bad) to the natural persuasion. Fortunately, the number of the latter is far greater than the number of former.

I wish to document with this blog these "West Virginia Moments." If you're reading this, then you are a friend or family member, or have stumbled upon this blog, and I thank you for reading and hope you'll get a laugh, discover a new natural place in WV, or gasp at the thought of it. However, the real reason for this blog is personal. I will consider this blog an archive of these moments for a man with a poor memory.

Enjoy!

07 February, 2007

Life in a College Town

From time to time, I'll have to post some memorable emails from students; ones that are particular to the atmosphere created in a place such as Morgantown, WV. Take 25,000 undergraduates and put them in a town of 25,000 surrouned by harsh wooded mountain terrain, build dozens of bars, and -- voila!! -- you get some great WV moments of the "coming of age" style. Enjoy!!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> Hi, My name is *********** I am enrolled in your Math 128 course. I
> was not able to finish the first HW by the due date and I would like a
> chance to make it up in order to start on the right foot in this class.
> My excuse is kind of unbeliveable but true for not turning in the HW on
> time. My new room mate of whom I hardly know stumbled in to my apartment
> on Friday night around 3:30am and proceeded to enter into my room and
> urinate all over my brandnew apartment floor, computer chair, bookbag, &
> paperwork. I made him throw away all of the urine covered papers. All of
> my Syllabus' and HW that i had in my notebook had to be thrown away so i
> have been playing catchup all week. I also tried to find the website all
> weekend but I could not find it to do the HW. If there is not any way
> that i can make this up please let me know so that i know how this is
> going to affect my grade. In all honesty I am not one to leave things
> until last minute and I am always on time and I am always a
> t class. I truely hope that I can make this assignment up but if not
> I understand. Thanks for your time. Sincerely, ***************
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::